Art and design is a subject which is intended to stimulate creativity, imagination and expression. It promotes spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and provides a unique way of communicating ideas, feelings and visual impressions. Children experience working with a wide variety of media, developing techniques and skills in drawing, painting, 3D work, textiles, printing and working in clay. They learn to make critical judgements, develop an aesthetic appreciation and explore artefacts and work produced by both contemporary artists and those of different times and cultures.
By the end of Year 6, we want pupils to:
- Understand and identify a range of different art styles, themes and techniques
- Be able to comment critically and constructively on their own creations and those of others, including why certain skills, techniques and material are used
- Use a range of painting, drawing and printing techniques and skills to create artwork across a range of styles and themes
- Use a range of techniques and materials to create a range of three-dimensional artwork across a range of styles and themes
- Use a range of techniques and textile materials to create artwork across a range of styles and themes
- Use skills and techniques to combine a range of materials in order to create artwork across a range of styles and themes